Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricane Ike vs. Cincinnati...

One Point Ike!!!

So I am sure everyone in Cincy knows what happened but for you out of town-er's, i thought I would give you an update...

It is a beautiful day tailgating for the bengals game, and then we enter the stadium...clouds roll in, but still no rain and then incredible winds start up. Apparently they were clocked at 75 mph. It was crazy windy during the entire game, but nothing to be alarmed about, until we leave the disaster of the game and walk outside for out trip home. Trees down, siding and shingles flying, the Ohio River having white caps like the ocean, and no power! We returned home to find out that we have some siding hanging on by a hair, but no further damage, other than lots of trees down. But get this...Duke is saying that people won't have power for 3-4 days!

Annie and I slept at my dad's last night because he had power because of new development and power lines being underground. Annie was lucky enough like the rest of the city for work to be cancelled. But have no fear, by some act of God my office and the Kroger data centers have backup generators, so I am here at work :( Just doesn't seem fair, no does it.

Hope Ike didn't hit anyone else...it really put a true hurricane in perspective cinsidering we only had partial winds. Imagine double the wind plus the rain...not fun!!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Currently Chad and I have been without power for THREE days. They are saying that we may not get it back until Sunday at midnight. That is a FULL WEEK without power. It sucks. Is yours back on yet? Hope so.

Katie said...

Oh man...that totally sucks!! I am so sorry. I am happy to report that by some act of God, Annie and I do have power. But we are the only house on our street that does. Since we are accross the street from the water works building, and on the same power lines as them, we got power back yesterday. You can come stay with us!! Annie is on day #3 without work...boo!

Anonymous said...

Don and I had the tree that used to be in our backyard blow over on our house. It put a hole in our roof, luckily over the garage. It could have bee a lot worse. No one was hurt and a tree removal company came through our neighborhood on Sunday evening and got the tree off our house so Don could cover up the hole in the roof. We were without power for only about 24 hours. Kate you are not the only one who had to go back to work. Don's and my offices never lost power, darn, so we were expected back to work the next day. I took a day of vacation on Monday to do some cleanup. I now know that if I ever need a second job, I can get a job with a tree removal company. It was a big tree that we had in our yard and I lifted and carried most of it on Monday. I am now living on Advil. Grandma said that Tom and Carolyn suffered some damage to their barn and Peg and Bill had a tree go down in their front yard. Hope everone else is doing OK.
Beth and Don